An Empowered Life


Question To Self...


Do I have the skills, authority, capability, autonomy, motivation to take charge of my life?
That is one of my questions to self, as I grow older. I am accountable to the 'me' I want to be, and have been throughout my life.
If I want to feel empowered to succeed, follow my dreams and gain respect for accomplishments, walking the 'thought' matters.

I had a discussion of sorts with my daughter, who declared at almost twenty everything she felt entitled to, with defiance and my thoughts went to 'empowerment.' Being empowered to make decisions and operate with some form of authority and autonomy has certainly been a topic of discussion for us women. Empowering our girls from an early age requires giving them the tools to move forward, and ensuring they have guidance and support systems to help them along the way.

As I think about my daughter and the corporate and social world she has entered, I am reminded of my own 'rite of passage' and the difficulty of being judged based on my gender, with limits put on my capabilities. With determination, drive and boldfaced fearlessness I had to prove my capabilities almost thirty years ago in a society trapped in inequality. When I look at today, many of my challenges have been replaced with new ones.

Many stereotypes on what a woman can and cannot do have been 'blown to smithereens'. Proving our worth seems to be ongoing, even with women smashing through the proverbial glass ceiling. As I ponder recent world events and the inequality of the battles women still face worldwide, I am heartened by the strength of our unity as a women. I am encouraged by the support of different disenfranchised groups, and communities seeking an equilibrium of balance in this world. As we grow older, watch us walk. Watch us march for what is right. Watch us walk for justice, freedom, and a world without misogynistic leadership, hatred, and tyranny. Watch our empowered life! 

Watch Me As I Walk


Watch me as I walk
My hips may shake a bit
These legs they still look strong
No heels on to give them a lift
My shoulders don't slouch
And my waist is a wee bit round
But I'm sure you will not notice
As I strut and sing my song.
I've got the silver streaks
My hair has lived through many trips
A real natural beauty
With some personality
From my lips.

Watch me as I walk,
Confident glow of womanhood at its peak
A lifetime journey ,and stories of which I speak
My aging has never been in vain
A point my look defines
I've got the music in my brain
Can dance, sing, and you will gaze
I can still hold my own on the town
Older and wiser,
Yes, I have been around!

Watch me as I walk
See the mystery
I’ve been living my life more than breathing
I know all the pebbles on the street.
You call me grandmother, wife, sister, daughter or friend
I’ve made my life,
A story I will defend
Just watch me as I walk
Strong woman,
God’s miracle worker
Life holder, heaven sent

This is a global subject and affects women worldwide. In admiration and respect for all women in all corners of the world who support and promote our young girls and women's rights. This is for the men who support and work with us. In solidarity. Thank You!

I appreciate your time reading my post. If this resonates with you, please share, and lets magnify our message strength and commitment to each other! Millions of thanks...


© Donna-Luisa Eversley and D-WORDSLAYER, 2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Donna-Luisa Eversley and D-WORDSLAYER with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back as a human 2023

  It’s been almost the entire year, but writing has been harder than normal. The words would come into my head but my fingers were not align...