Eating Anyone?



Case: The belly growls

One of the best ways to learn is from experience. To gain experience you have to perform an action, and sometimes you may feel uncomfortable. Sometimes you decisions are winners and sometimes you just mess up. Its okay to fail, and its okay to not be happy with the results, but what's not okay, is to not try. I've been called unconventional, and bold, but its how this passion for execution works with me. Breaking the rules have taught me more than toeing the line. Here is my first installment on cases for consideration in management from real events, real people, and real action!



The security guard opened the gate. The clock on the dashboard gazed back at me 4:15am. As I drove into the compound, there were 2 vehicles waiting, their drivers jumped out.

"Good morning Boss", the first guy said as he approached my jeep.

"Hey, morning Boss, I was here first can I leave as soon as possible. Today its a long run." The second man looks at me with a smile, as he gets closer.

"Good morning Diego, good morning Devin. Glad you guys are here. This morning I have a surprise. Please have some breakfast before you leave, there is a lot - so enjoy." As I looked at the guys their shock and amazement is heart-breaking. "Here, can you give me a hand with those bags in the back and go easy with the trays."

They both stand still, gazing at me as though they had seen a ghost.
Devin is the first to speak, "Boss, are you serious. You brought us breakfast. Wow, no one has ever done that before, and I've been here five years. You for real? But you are the Boss."

Diego just stands, looking at me. As I look at him he looks away. We get into the building and the rest of the guys enter, and are all looking stunned by everything they see.

"Guys, you are my team. Every single one of you are part of my team. On my watch, you eat every morning before you go out there. If you can be sure of one thing every day, is breakfast from this company. It's nothing fancy, just basic sandwich or cookies and coffee or juice every morning." As I look around the rest of my team are there listening. Those faces don't look as happy as I had hoped they would be. They looked shocked. Dumbfounded. Not happy.

Diego is the first to speak, " Boss we are just surprised. You don't know us. You've not been here long, and yet you are being good to us. I'm not ashamed to say, no one has ever woken up and made breakfast for me before I come to work, and I have a wife. No one really cares if I eat, because we just have to go and make the money for the company. Yes we are paid, but its sometimes not enough to live, and we're hungry hoping someone will share their bread with us. Some customers share food with us sometimes. So we shocked. But thanks Boss. I appreciate it."

One by one the others come up to me, with shy smiles, some with blank face and glassy eyes, trying not to show emotion. They have their pride and its important they don't feel less as men because they have less. We go into the building and I lay the counter with coffee, tea, cocoa, milk, sugar. I'm trying not to look at them, because I'm not sure I want them to see how choked up I feel. As I uncover the trays and turn on the kettle,  a squeal erupts from another member of staff, "Look at how fantastic this all is. I could eat it all."
Another voice jumps in, " No, no Francis, you can take last, you are too greedy!" The guys  are busy commenting, joking and laughing but no one comes forward to eat. To get the guys started I pray out loud, "Thank you God for this meal. Bless the food, the guys and the business. Amen. Get cracking guys, and take any extras for lunch. Your trucks need to be out by 4:45am latest!

Managing  and the meal

There are many things I learnt from managing a distribution team, but the one thing which stays with me is how a simple act of kindness can impact of the lives of those we lead. It makes good business sense to know your staff and the environment they have to operate within. Expecting peak performance from members of the team who may be distracted by a lack of the basic necessities is foolhardy. What drew my attention to this need was observing the look of hunger on one of the guys one morning. I asked a few questions discretely, checked their earnings and did the math myself.

While we cannot be responsible for all their basic needs, sometimes its important to evaluate remuneration packages and seek ways to increase employee comfort to optimize performance. There are some things which help increase the overall value package offered by an organization, which won't break the bank. In many instances, when employees talk about their place of work, if you listen closely, its the things that are not included in the pay package which are highlighted.

Be an employer who cares about the welfare of staff. You can show interest without creating huge obligations which cannot be upheld.

Every time I think about those guys I smile. The genuine appreciation was worth much more than the thirty-five dollars to take care of my team daily. When I needed them to do more they would never grumble, but step up!

Maybe I have it all wrong, but I think leading with compassion and kindness won't make you weak, but can inspire your team to want to be loyal and to enjoy coming to work. This team thought I was 'dread' ( means no nonsense and tough), but felt I was fair most times - based on feedback!

Share your thoughts, on this case, and maybe how you would deal with a similar situation.


*** This post was written for the All Business Hive on beBee  for discussion, as the focus is to share business experiences.

I'm a Business Development Consultant with over thirty years experience in sales marketing and brand /market/ customer service. I've started and operated a regional distribution company for over seven years in HVAC supply & distribution. Sponsorships, seminars, training and promotional activities are part of my portfolio developed over the years. If you have a challenge, it can be resolved. For consultation contact dwordslayer@gmail.com

Donna-Luisa Eversley and D-WORDSLAYER, 2016. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Donna-Luisa Eversley and D-WORDSLAYER with appropriate and specific direction to the original content




No comments:

Post a Comment

Back as a human 2023

  It’s been almost the entire year, but writing has been harder than normal. The words would come into my head but my fingers were not align...